Office of the Spokesperson
April 23, 2012
The United States strongly condemns Sudan’s military incursion into South Sudan yesterday and calls for the immediate cessation of hostilities and the withdrawal of all Sudanese armed militia from South Sudan. Sudan must immediately halt the aerial and artillery bombardment in South Sudan by the Sudan Armed Forces. Sudan and South Sudan must end all military support for rebel groups within the other country.
We recognize the right of South Sudan to self-defense and urge South Sudan to exercise restraint in its reaction to Sudan’s attack in Unity State and to refrain from disproportionate actions which would only further enflame the hostilities between the parties. We welcome South Sudan’s withdrawal from Heglig, and we urge that South Sudan complete a total withdrawal of all South Sudanese armed forces deployed across the January 1, 1956 border.
Both governments must agree to an immediate unconditional cessation of hostilities and recommit to negotiations under the auspices of the African Union High-level Implementation Panel. We urge both parties to activate without delay the Joint Border Verification and Monitoring Mechanism, including unarmed observers from both parties supported by UN observers.
As President Obama stated in his message to the people of Sudan and South Sudan, “All those who are fighting must recognize that there is no military solution. The only way to achieve real and lasting security is to resolve your differences through negotiation.”
- safer-behind-the-camera reblogged this from somesaccharinesentiments
- somesaccharinesentiments reblogged this from statedept
- waves-cameras-and-coffee reblogged this from statedept
- waves-cameras-and-coffee likes this
- drueisms likes this
- dmcsr reblogged this from statedept
- takkeb reblogged this from statedept
- takkeb likes this
- exallamsehtfes likes this
- melinachristina reblogged this from statedept
- ausetkmt reblogged this from statedept
- chinucheeti reblogged this from statedept
- inuyasha420 reblogged this from statedept
- johnnydib reblogged this from statedept and added:
- legarconbeau likes this
- statedept posted this