Office of the Spokesperson
November 7, 2012
We welcome the November 5 sentencing by the Republic of Seychelles of 15 in connection with an attack on a merchant ship and the abduction of 13 Iranian fishermen rescued by the U.S. Navy. This sentencing brings the total number of convicted pirates to 631 – 98 in Seychelles alone – with 440 other suspected pirates facing justice in 21 countries, including the United States.
We appreciate Seychelles’ regional leadership on counter-piracy, as seen in their willingness to prosecute and incarcerate Somali pirates, as well as their hosting of a regional intelligence coordination center to support future piracy prosecutions. The sentencing marks a positive step forward for building a strong and unified international response against piracy originating from Somalia and for promoting freedom of navigation worldwide.
- andtheregoesmybrain likes this
- latersonsonafrote reblogged this from statedept
- starry-dreamer likes this
- hoola121 reblogged this from statedept
- rethinkagain likes this
- maffra-man likes this
- mzholland likes this
- blankcheque likes this
- distractingdepression reblogged this from statedept
- 007worldtraveler reblogged this from statedept
- statedept posted this