About the Author: Timothy Neely serves as Environment, Science, Technology and Health Counselor at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India.
Do you know which country’s constitution promises that a minimum of 60 percent its land area will be maintained as forest for all time? Which country’s government pledges to protect, conserve, and improve the pristine environment and safeguard the biodiversity of the country; prevent pollution and ecological degradation; secure ecologically balanced sustainable development while promoting justifiable economic and social development; and ensure a safe and healthy environment? The answer is the Kingdom of Bhutan, a small Himalayan country located between China and India. Bhutan’s use of a “Gross National Happiness” index to measure progress, rather than GDP, is well-known, but fewer people know of the importance that Bhutan attaches to conserving its natural environment and biodiversity.
The Second Asian Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation held in Thimphu, Bhutan… more »
- bettybeeu likes this
- abandonallreason reblogged this from statedept
- abandonallreason likes this
- buy-steroids-uk-co likes this
- mingdorkie reblogged this from statedept
- mingdorkie likes this
- 2minichinz likes this
- piedbeauty reblogged this from statedept
- theecooptimist reblogged this from statedept
- aproposofhip likes this
- antigoneweareyoung likes this
- avatareverlark likes this
- statedept posted this