On Monday, an Egyptian court convicted three international journalists from Al Jazeera’s English-language network along with 15 others of conspiring with “terrorists” to harm national unity. Egyptian-Canadian Mohamed Fahmy and Australian Peter Greste received seven-year sentences; Egyptian Baher Mohamed got an extra three years for possessing a single spent bullet, a souvenir from his reporting on the country’s street protests.
Read more on DipNote.
- sarahksiwak reblogged this from statedept
- sarahksiwak likes this
- rogachev likes this
- lolableu reblogged this from statedept
- the-break-room reblogged this from statedept
- disco-dancer-donna likes this
- thenewleftworld likes this
- franiel32 likes this
- thebostonscribe reblogged this from statedept
- defectivegemini reblogged this from statedept
- millennialeconomist reblogged this from statedept
- committeetoprotectjournalists said: Egypt should free ALL journalists jailed in Egypt. At least 14 journalists are behind bars in Egypt, according to CPJ research.
- senatormitchmcconnell likes this
- backthefuckoffemily likes this
- statedept posted this