After a People-to-People Exchange event in Beijing, China’s Vice Premier Liu talked Secretary Kerry into playing some guitar. And learn more about our exchanges here!
The Badaling section of the Great Wall of China, as seen by Secretary Kerry and Secretary Lew during their tour after arriving in Beijing for the U.S.-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue.
Secretary Kerry traveled to China today. These bowls commemorate our very important relationship. The bowl on the top was created in 1784 to mark the United States’ first trade mission to China. The bowl on the bottom was created in 2008 to celebrate the opening of our new Embassy in Beijing. These images are courtesy of the State Department’s Diplomatic Reception Rooms.
Together, China and the United States account for more than 40 percent of greenhouse gas emissions which means that we can have the biggest impact on slowing climate change. Read more in Secretary Kerry’s Op-Ed on ThinkProgress.
Secretary Kerry delivers remarks at the opening sessions of the U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue with Vice President of the United States Joe Biden, U.S. Secretary of Treasury Jacob Lew, State Councilor of the People’s Republic of China Yang Jiechi, and Vice Premier of the People’s Republic of China Wang Yang at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, DC on July 10, 2013. A text transcript can be found at http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2013/07/211773.htm
|—||Secretary Kerry at the U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue, July 10, 2013|
The U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of the Treasury are hosting the fifth round of the U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue (S&ED) in Washington, D.C. this week, and we’re giving you unprecedented access. You can watch events live on video.state.gov/live (please see the schedule below).
We are pleased to announce our first-ever “Facebook Special Access” event, which will provide fans of the State Department’s Facebook page a chance to submit their questions and comments on U.S.-China engagement. You can also follow the S&ED on Twitter from @StateDept and @USTreasury, Flickr, YouTube, and Google +.
U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue Schedule
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
- 9:00 a.m. EDT: Secretary of State John Kerry, Secretary of the Treasury Jack Lew, Chinese State Councilor Yang Jiechi, and Vice Premier Wang Yang participate in the S&ED Joint Opening Session.
Thursday, July 11, 2013
- 10:15 a.m. EDT: Secretary Kerry and State Councilor Yang participate in the Strategic Track Plenary Session.
- 11:30 a.m. EDT: Secretary Kerry and State Councilor Yang participate in the Eco-Partnership Event.
- 5:30 p.m. EDT: Secretary Kerry, Secretary Lew, State Councilor Yang, and Vice Premier Wang participate in U.S.-China Closing Statements at the Department of Treasury (streaming on treasury.gov).
- 6:10 p.m. EDT: Secretary Kerry and Secretary Lew participate in the U.S. Press Conference (streaming on treasury.gov).